Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Finishing the oven install and wood shelves

The double Thermador ovens have just been sitting in the opening and needed a final leveling and securing. Who knew it would take an hour plus to get the oven level.  Leveling your oven is a must if you want your cakes to come out level and believe me I need all the help I can get with my cakes.

We screwed down the oven after we shimmed and checked the levelness by putting a level on the oven shelf.  When I opened the oven door to remove the level we noticed that there was still a little vibration in the oven when the oven door was slightly slammed shut.  We remedied this problem by taking a 1 inch by 8 inch long piece of metal and fashioned a strap.  R attached the strap to the oven by removing one of the screws holding the sheet metal side on, he then added the strap, and put the screw back in place.  On the other end of the strap he bent a 90 degree bend about 1 inch from the end and drilled a hole to accept a screw.  He then screwed the strap to the wood tongue and groove wall behind the oven.  Problem solved.

The final oven piece that needed installing was a little black vent strip that had to go under the bottom door. We still need to hook up the electrical but we are waiting until the cook top install to do both at the same time.

The shelves have been nailed and screwed down.  We also added a piece of screen trim to the top two shelves.  The trim is to help support platters and plates that I might be lean against the wall on the shelves. We could have routered a groove but platters are generally thick and we didn't want to permanently alter the shelves.  The trim is 3 inches from the wall and held in place with little pins nails which can easily be removed.  The trim was left off of the lowest shelf because this shelf is for canisters and large jars.


Yesterday, I rummaged through the bedroom where I have stored furniture, lamps, paintings etc.  I brought down the French wrought iron and crystal chandelier, 1 vintage ceiling fixture, and 3 glass globes (vintage) so that I can figure out what we need to get to finish our lighting.

Ironically, while we were working on the shelves we talked about how it would look cool to have a plant in a vintage pot sitting on one of the shelves.  I was so surprised to see this vintage green pot sitting on a table.  I have no recollection of buying it.  Actually, I have no recollection of buying a lot of the items in that room.






2 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is looking really good! I like all those big, open shelves. I call those pots hen and chicks pots and my mom says they're strawberry pots. Whatever you put in it, I think it'll look really nice on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought they were called strawberry pots. I have some big terra cotta strawberry pots that I am going to plant with actual strawberries.

    I can't wait to put my stuff on those shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....