Monday, October 6, 2014

The small details

Sometimes the small details take what seems like a longer time to complete than the bulk of the project.  Here are two examples that are taking FOR E VER.

Below the window sills on the bay window were small cove moulding that were broken and rotted so they were tossed long ago.  I have had 'buy cove trim' on my To Do list for at east three weeks.  I finally purchased two pieces 8 feet long on Friday.

On Saturday, while it again sprinkled on and off, we measured and cut the pieces.  R first cut a 45 degree cut and then a 90 degree cut to square off the very top.  Saturday night was spent priming (twice) and painting the three pieces of trim.  While I had the paint out I gave the window box and brackets (small window in peak) a fresh coat of paint.


Today we installed the trim and I crossed that small detail off my list.   Yippee.

The other small detail that is taking sooooo long is the pull rings for the shutters.  I finally found pull rings that were big enough without costing an arm and a leg.  Unfortunately it will take 7-14 days to be delivered.  So I can't install the small shutters until I can put the pull ring on first.  Working high up on the ladder is tricky enough.

In turn this means that we cannot install the small storm window because I will need to reach out through the window to hold the shutter in place while R installs the long screw.  So one small detail can hold up the whole shebang.  Luckily for us.....we have a loooooong list of things that need to be done before the snow falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....