Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Blueberry Bushes....so many choices but all the same height

One of our local landscape nurseries publishes a yearly booklet with all the trees, shrubs, and flowers that they will offer throughout the upcoming year.  So for the last month or so I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the fruit trees and shrubs so I can buy some blueberry bushes.

We decided that instead of planting roses or hydrangeas on the south side of the house that we would plant something edible.  I didn't want anything high maintenance or with thorns.  That meant no raspberries or gooseberries but I may revisit that gooseberry thing somewhere else in the yard.  So that really left just blueberries bushes.

I knew that I wanted the bushes to not be any higher than a foot or so below the new window box. That gave me a maximum height of 4 feet.  We also had about 18 feet in length to work use.  Most of the blueberry varieties that they offered were 6 ft tall so they were not going to work at all.

But they did offer one variety that was 3 to 4 feet in height and another one that was maximum height of 2 feet.  Two feet was a little short but they would work at the far end and I could use the 4 footers under the window box.

So once at the nursery, I find the blueberry bushes and start loading my cart. Then for some reason I decide to read the label and on the label it says 4 to 6 feet.  I read all the other labels and they all said 4 to 6 feet except for Jelly Bean.  So I put two of them in my cart and then just stood there.
I hate it when I do research and have a plan and then something changes so it throws everything out the window.  I reread all the labels just to make sure I wasn't missing something.  That's when it hit me that I could just keep the bushes trimmed down to 4 feet if for some reason they loved the location and grew to 6 feet.

So I put the Bluecrop blueberry bushes in my cart and brought them home.
Where every night for the last two weeks I have to put them in the barn because it is so cold at night.

We are hoping that our blueberry bushes produce enough berries that we can have a few blueberry pies, some blueberry muffins, and maybe do a little finger grazing during the day while working in the yard.

Today, I also purchased some Asian lily bulbs and will plant those bulbs when the rain stops.  When that will be is as yet undetermined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....