Friday, June 28, 2013

Where have we been???

We've been busy busy busy.

Well, why haven't you been posting???

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.  My laptop has been giving me fits for some time now.  Nothing is more frustrating than trying to load photos or losing a long descriptive post.  I put off getting a new laptop until it froze up late one night while I was playing Candy Crush on Facebook. took the ability to play an online game before I purchased a new laptop.

It was only the next day that I realized that I needed a laptop to order a laptop online.  Grrrr.  I always wanted a tablet so I purchased one and then ordered my laptop online.

It's been 3 days and I can barely turn it on without panicking.  When it comes to electronics....I like it simple.  Real simple.  I've yet to figure out where to plug my camera in to download photos.....or is it upload????  So this post will be sans photos.

When not playing Candy Crush online....we've installed vinyl gutters and downspouts on the front and south side of the house.  We love the look and so far they have functioned perfectly.

We've weeded almost all of our flower beds.  We planted a garden and the deer love it.  We planted sunflower seeds on the south side of the barn and they are doing great.  We've drawn up plans for a double composting bin made out of pallets and now cannot find FREE pallets any where and we need nine pallets.  I have also removed all the paint from the dining room walls, the foyer walls, the hallway, and half of the vestibule walls.  The vast majority of the cracks were in the paint layer.  R completed a rough sand of the laundry room and kitchen which has removed all the remaining glue and crud from the pine floor.

Since the outside temperatures have reached the mid 80's, we decided it was the perfect time to do a little roofing.  The old bath garden shed.....had an asphalt shingle roof that barely had any granules left on the shingles.  We had success with our shingle installation last year so we figured a garden shed was in our wheel house of capability.

We were surprised to find a cedar shingle roof under the asphalt shingles so essentially we had to remove 2 roofs.  Of course as soon as we removed the shingles it decided to rain and it has rained on and off since we removed the roof. Unfortunately, it has taken us 5 days to tar paper, install drip edge, and install starter strips.  It wasn't 5 minutes after installing the last starter strip that it starting raining.....hard.
So tomorrow we start installing shingles.  We purchased 4 bundles and will hopefully use some of the left over pieces from last summer and the miscellaneous shingles that we found when we bought the house.  I made starter strips from some of the shingles that had damaged edges etc.  Fingers crossed that we do not have to make another trip to pick up more shingles.