Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Relocating the Downspout

I never liked the location of the downspout on the front of the house.  It sticks out like a sore thumb.

My preferred location when we installed the eavetroughs and downspouts was to run the white downspout down the white corner trim but this was impossible because the rain water diverter is actually about 8 inches long.  When you add 4 inches (to the center of the diverter) plus a couple of inches of eavetrough and then the end cap it totals at least 6 inches from the end of the run that you can locate a downspout.  I didn't want to run the downpout right next to the corner trim because from far away it would read as a very wide trim board.  So we moved it over and lived with it for two years before the light bulb in my head went off.

Why not run the eavetrough around the corner and if the stars and planets (dowspout elbows) all lined up correctly, it would line the downspout up with the corner trim.  But first we needed to add a piece of thick vinyl fascia board to extend the fascia aroud the corner.

Next on the list was to add a corner piece to the eavetrough and then a portion of gutter along with the diverter.  We permenently attached all the parts except for the diverter so that we could move it to exactly the correct location to align the downspot with the corner trim. Out of all the excess gutter parts that I have in my stash I still needed to go to Home Depot to buy just one more elbow before I knew for sure if it would line up exactly.  It was looking good but I was not going to count my chckens before they hatched.

Score!! with the second elbow installed the downspout lines up exactly with the corner trim.  R pop riveted all the parts together and sealed the deal by using a hole saw to cut the hole in the eavetrough to allow the rainwater to flow into the diverter and down the downspout.

This photo was taken before I trimmed the Gutter Brush to sit lower in the eavetrough
The front of the house is now unblemished and the downspout blends into the corner trim.  You need to be upclose to actually see the downspout.  I know it's a little thing but it has always bothered me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....