Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter Art

In honor of the real reason we celebrate Easter, I will show you one of my favorite paintings from my art collection.  I am sorry that I do not have a better photo but all of my art collection is currently stored away while we do our home restoration.
I purchased this painting in 2007.  I cannot remember the artist's name but you can see his stylized mark in the lower right hand corner. I am sure I will run across the paperwork eventually. The painting is modern and painted probably in the late 1930's, possibly 1938.

This sounds like an odd reason to buy a painting but I am attracted to square works of art (this piece is 24X24), paintings rendered in shades of purple, and religious paintings.  Based on those attributes this painting was a no brainer for me to purchase.  

The painting reveals more details the further you are from the painting.  It wasn't until I hung the painting and left the room and came back did I even notice the crucifixion on the right and left of Christ.  I was busy looking at the center of the painting as I held it in my hand and totally missed what was happening along the left and right edges.

The sky is painted in shades of dark purple depicting the storm that happened as Christ hung on the cross.  The entire work is painted with a palette mostly of pinks, blues, and purples.

The brush strokes are large and layered in such a way that it results in a more detailed depiction.  Upclose the faces appear blank or without features but again as you back up you can see the features.  I find this painting fascinating and just now noticed a very small sage green that I never noticed before.

Have a Happy Easter. Whether you are celebrating Easter with a family dinner, attending church, or having an Easter egg hunt may your day be a happy one.

As always.....
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....