Monday, June 30, 2014

Roses trimmed and Hosta browsing

Finally!  I thought we would never get to the end of the rose bush trimming.  Some of the Knockout roses were close to 6 feet tall with canes as big around as a 50 cent coin.  I was totally shocked that only one rose bush looks like it might be dead...but I'm gong to give it a month or so before I dig it up and replace it.


The roses that we cut back are already blooming.....color me shocked.  The rose bushes are growing so fast now that the dead wood has been removed.  We also cut back all the perennials that were growing in the rose bed by the curve in the driveway.  The plan is to have a flag pole in this bed but first I want to get rid of all the weeds and spiderwort that are growing in the bed.


We also weeded the large hosta bed.  The hostas are doing great in this bed and only needed a little weeding.  That's the beauty of hostas, once they are established they block out any light so there are very few weeds.

There are a few combinations in this bed that are striking.  Nothing shows off the blue hostas better than a chartreuse green hosta.

Look at how big Empress Wu has grown in just 3 years.  It is the hosta behind thee bird bath.

R got the rear tine tiller out and started loosening the soil around the garden shed.  There are some low spots and the lawn was higher than the stone porch on the front of the shed.  It will take a couple of days to move the soil around and install the slate pieces for a walkway to the steps.  After that, I will seed and let it all come in before I carve out my flower bed that will be on the three sides.



All under the watchful eye of Grandma Cat.

I've already made a list of hostas I want to purchase.  R and I decided on new varieties that we don't already have and we also want to have giants.  The only giant that I have now is Empress Wu.  To fill in the bed we will under plant with large and medium varieties.


So many hostas to choose from that I have had to keep myself from ordering them  all.


4 comments:

  1. The Hosta looks great. I like how you have mixed the types and in doing so, they compliment each other.

    What is the type (white edged) in the picture below the pic of the Empress Wu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorites. The white edge is very white. I thin it was called Tom Schmid but I can't find that listed anywhere. He is a famous hosta grower. I'll let you now if I find the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is Tom Schmid.

    http://www.hostalibrary.org/t/t.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....