Sunday, June 3, 2018

Hostas Purchased off of Etsy

If you are into hostas as much as I am then you know that your local nurseries and garden shops tend to offer the same hostas with maybe 1 or 2 new varieties each year.  I try to fight the urge to buy online because new varieties can be pricey for very small plants and you also run the risk of buying a plant that either doesn't hold up over the long run (Fire and Ice, Loyalist, Pandora's Box) or in the case of sports, you get a plant that reverts back after 3 years.

I needed a few plants to fill in holes in my hosta beds.  This usually happens when the tag says it is one size and it ends up being smaller.  I also had two hostas die which is very unusual.  What is more unusual is that there were no rotting roots or dead debris.  It might be that an animal dug up the plant and hauled it away.  Who knows what happened.
My usual online method is to buy off eBay or directly from a nursery but this year I decided to give Etsy a try.

  The box arrived in 8 days with a postal holiday and a weekend included so the box arrived very fast.
When I opened the box, I found each plant wrapped in newspaper, with the roots wrapped in wet paper towel and a plant tag attached.  Perfect.
 The plants were all good size.  There were no damaged leaves and all plants looked very healthy.  These are all new to me and I can't wait to see how they look when they reach maturity.  I will be very happy if they are half as good looking as the photos on the tags.

The seven plants that I purchased from the Etsy seller GardensBreeze are......

Firn Line medium light yellow with green center
Sunset Grooves small green with bright yellow center
Restless Sea medium blue with pie crust edge 
Sugar Daddy large blue with cream edge
Winter Snow giant chartreuse green with cream or white edge
Kiwi Spearmint small white/green streak center with green edge
Forbidden Fruit large thick leaves bright yellow center green edge
  
And finally I have all my concrete pieces made for the Quikrete 1 Bag Wonder Contest.
I will do a final reveal of what I made on Monday night.  Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed.

Reuse Repurpose Recycle

Don't forget to follow Gear Acres on

Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....