Monday, January 21, 2019

New Patio Doors and Repurposing the Pallet

The new french doors for the gameroom arrived a week and a half early,  just in time for a snow storm and frigid sub zero weather.
So installation will have to wait until the temps get above freezing.  But in the meantime I needed to pick out a lockset that would match the three original locksets on the house.  The original lockets are the black hammered thumb set with a cylinder lock above the handle.  If I searched long enough I might be able to find 1 handle but I have this thing with symmetry.  There is no way in the world that I would be happy with just one door handle.

I scraped the idea of looking for an old handle and decided to buy 2 new handles that would work with the look of the old handles.  I found a door handle on House of Antique Hardware.  I knew that I wanted a black handle and not a handle that I had to spray paint.  The door handle I chose comes in matte black. They also offer a choice of door knobs for the interior side and one of the choices match the glass door knobs on all the doors in the house.


Sorry about the link but I was unable to copy just the image of the door handle.

House of Antique Hardware was also offering a 15% off sale so I saved 50 bucks.  Edited 1-22-2019 I spoke with an associate on the phone to order the dummy set.  The cost of it made my total over $500.00 and that qualified my order to receive 20% off my total.  So I saved $115.54.  The associate was very helpful and my order should ship in the next 3 days.

The patio doors came on a pallet for transportation.  We picked up the doors at the store so that we could save on the shipping cost.  After R picked up the door using his truck, we removed it from the pallet and then moved it to the deck.  The pallet was originally going into the burner barrel but then we realized that it would make a great pallet for stacking the bricks from the chimney that we are removing sometime before spring.  We have three fireplaces and three chimneys but one chimney serves two fireplaces so the third chimney is useless and just a remnant for the coal fired steam boiler that serviced the house when it was built.  

That system is long gone and the chimney is eating up valuable floor space.  We might need some bricks to fix the working chimneys when they are repointed this spring. Also, in the future I would like to have the front porch rebuilt using the red brick for the sides.
The pallet had a support for each side of the door.  We removed those boards and then removes the nails and staples.  We spaced those boards to fill the gaps in the pallet.  The boards were too long so we cut them off after we screwed the boards onto the pallet.
Viola!  A new pallet and we reused and repurposed.  Win Win

Reuse Repurpose Recycle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....