Monday, December 3, 2007

Paving the way...

In an earlier post I mentioned that "The Gear" was going to have a yard (36") of bricks just like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I am happy to announce the arrival of a 9 pound ORIGINAL paver brick from the speedway.Indy pavers do not have the same dimensions as today's modern day pavers (Home Depot type). This will pose a design problem. According to Plan A, I had originally intended to use modern concrete pavers for the entire 36 inches and just place this one special paver in the center. So on to Plan B. That plan would require obtaining enough old pavers to pave the entire 36 inches. Downtown Flint, Michigan was at one time paved entirely with bricks. Over the years they were either removed or asphalted over. This only left part of Saginaw Street still paved with the red bricks. I wonder what they did with all the old pavers?? If that doesn't pan out, there is always Plan C. I have already started acting on Plan C (I guess you can tell I am not too optimistic about A and B). Plan C requires obtaining enough old pavers (from anywhere) to do one row. That row will be the center row with all other rows paved with new concrete pavers of the Home Depot variety. I have already purchased several pavers off of eBay. One paver was from an old railroad roundhouse (that's where they turned the locomotive around).

My intention is to acquire the paver bricks over the winter, so that next summer we can install them. But you know what they say about good intentions, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I wonder if the road to hell is landscaped with unplanted hostas???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....