Friday, February 19, 2010

Chainsaw, Planer, and Oak Door

Alex, I'll take Projects for $500.00

The answer is.... Cut down two trees, set up the planer, and set the oak door in place.

Buzz

What is what did we do today?

Correct!!!!

Yup, we fired up that brand new chainsaw and cut down two dead trees. But first R had to show me this huge icicle that he found when he went to the barn to get the ladder. Doesn't he look happy? I mean why wouldn't he be happy? It was cold, the wind was blowing, and he had to stand in the snow. It could be worse....he could be crawling around under the house.See this rope.
One end was tied to the tree.
And the other end was attached to me. Not as much attached as just placed behind my back and one hand had hold of the rope before it went behind my back and the other hand held the rope on the other side and I just leaned back on the rope to put tension on the rope to guide the tree as it fell.I'm very talented. I can hold onto a rope and take a photo, with my gloves on, at the same time.

One tree down...one to go.Second tree down.Both trees fell without damaging the driveway, fruit trees, plants, shrubs, or lawn. We just piled up the logs and branches until the snow melts and we can bring the little lawn tractor trailer out and pick up all the logs at one time.

R conducted a quick count and both trees were roughly about 50 yrs old. The photo below shows why we had to cut down these two trees. Those squiggly things are the larvae of the emerald ash borer. Say it with me......ewwwww.Then we placed (not permanently) the oak door in the opening to form an air lock. We decided that we need to remove about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch from the side. The height was OK.
We decided we would fit and hang the door before I reinstall the beveled glass panes for two reasons. First... the door is heavy and would be even heavier with the glass. Second...we won't have to worry about breaking a pane when we take the door out to the barn to run it through the planer.

See that patch where there was a hinge at one time? Sadly the hinge placement on the door does not line up with the previous hinge placement on the jamb. In a perfect world they would line up.
Tomorrow we will plane the door. I don't anticipate getting much more than that done because the planer is in the barn. This project will require carrying the door back and forth from the house to the barn.

I purchased the door at the architectural salvage store called Grand Illusion Gallery in Grass Lake, Michigan. The door came without any hardware so I will need to go through my boxes of hinges and lock sets to see what I have that will work. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I have something that will work and is appropriate to the style and age of the house.

2 comments:

  1. He looks like Zeus! :)

    Yuk, those fricken Ash Borers took out 5 of our trees at our house in Clinton Township. I HATE THEM!!! I LOVED THE TREES!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....