Tuesday, March 8, 2016

If it's not snowing....we're shingling

The weather has had an abrupt turn around.  Three days ago it was snowing and today it was 60 degrees and a muddy mess.  I loved the 60 degree weather but it makes for a nasty mess when you have 10 inches of snow on the ground that is melting up a storm.

I was out and about on Sunday afternoon and there was traffic jams everywhere.  I'm assuming it was because of the debate in Flint on Sunday night.  Don't forget to vote on Tuesday if you are a Michigan resident.

But back to shingling....

We put down a piece of plywood on the ground so that the ladder wouldn't sink into the mud.  This gave us the added benefit of having something to walk on so our boots wouldn't get loaded up with mud.

Tomorrow I need to buy two more bundles of shingles and I really really hope that these shingles had better quality control than the last bundle.  Some of the shingles were as much as a 1/2 inch wider at the top or bottom.  Trimming and fine tuning each shingle makes for slow going especially once you are on a ladder.  We still have shingles left over from the last bundle but they are basically all the same size and we need some variety to get a random pattern.
One of the benefits of working on a peak is that as you go up, the rows get shorter but the downer is the climb up the ladder does get longer.

I finally ordered the window boxes and I was so happy that the guy I purchased from so many years ago is still making window boxes.  I see he has now branched out to planting bed boxes.  I'll fill everyone in on his website and what to expect once our window boxes arrive.

All of this window box ordering has me contemplating what to plant in them.  Once these boxes are hung we will have 3 that are over 100 inches and then 5 that are around 40 inches so that is a lot of plants and plants=money.  One window box already has onion chives planted in it and my plan is to just add some garlic chives for August flowering. So that is one window box done and 7 more to go.

The cats were so happy to be outside in the sun today and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....