Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Birthday G.W. and tile at the Holly Hotel


Today R and I celebrated George's birthday by going to the Holly Hotel with my parents. We had a great luncheon and as always everything tasted great.

Soup
Virginia Peanut & Chestnut Soup

Entree

Virginia Ham with Apricot Sauce Peppered Bacon Colonial Hoe Cake Buttered Carrots Mt Vernon Brown Bread
Iced Root Beer, Coffee, Tea


Dessert
King Orchard Cherry Pie

The Holly Hotel first celebrated G.W. birthday on February 22, 1893 according to the information on the menu card. Originally known as Washington House and is said to be the oldest social club in Michigan. It is also the oldest George Washington Club in the world and possibly the only one left in existence.

The Holly Hotel is a Victorian era building and has extensive wood paneling, moldings, and a great tile floor in the foyer. I snapped a few photos discreetly. I wanted to share photos of the great arched pocket doors dividing the bar from the foyer but the crowd was mostly elderly and I didn't want the flash to startle anyone.The floor looks much better overall than the area I chose to photograph. From a distance it looks exactly like a rug. I'll try to get better photos of the floor and doors the next time I'm there, which is soon because I have a birthday voucher to use before the end of the month.

1 comment:

Leave a comment here.....