Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time

It's time for a theme post. Time is the theme on all three of my blogs.

I really thought that once I was retired..... I would have time. I was wrong wrong wrong. Really is there ever enough time????

I have slowly been going through piles of magazines, paper work, recipes, etc etc. I figured that I could get caught up on the inside chores so that I would be ready for the warm weather chores. But the more I clean, the more I find, the more I find, the more I need to clean.

I cleaned out my make up drawer and medicine cabinet the other day. How I accumulated so much lipstick, I'll never know. I threw out a lot. I can now find the 3 or 4 items that I use everyday.

The medicine cabinet was a mess. Every band aid we own was out of the box (R's doing), prescriptions from 1998, prescriptions for ailments unknown, and vitamins that we should have taken but didn't, and now they have expired. I threw out a lot. I can now find the 3 or 4 items that I use everyday.

See a pattern?????

Back to time. I began to sort my jewelry. I'll admit it...I love my baubles. R and I collect vintage watches, particularly wristwatches from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Mechanical watches....the kind you wind. Since we both have mechanical backgrounds we really appreciate the complexity and minuteness of these mechanical wonders.I have self taught myself how to oil, adjust the speed, and how to determine whether the watch is beyond my ability and beyond the size of my wallet to fix. I also can rejuvenate a watch crystal if the scratches are not overly deep. I love the feel of watch crystals from the 30's-50's. They are thick, sometimes beveled and convex.

I'm currently having a platinum watch from the 20's refurbish by a true watch maker. His name is Gunther. While at his shop, he told me that the United States is currently in need of 1500 true watchmakers and that in the next decade or two you will not be able to get a mechanical watch serviced. A true shame. If you are interested in becoming a watchmaker, it is a 4 year apprenticeship. You work 4 years with a journeyman watchmaker, without pay. No different than college.....4 years.....no pay.

Here are photos of my favorite watches. Most are from the 40's and 50's. I'm partial to Bulova. Yes, I know these are watches for men. But they are the size of ladies watches today. Ladies watches of that era were very small. I have a few in my collection but I just don't wear them.Several years ago for R's birthday, I was able to purchase a Bulova watch made in 1952 the same year he was born. This watch was new old stock (NOS) meaning they never sold the watch to anyone back in 1952. It came with all paperwork, case, and outer cardboard box. It even had the hang tag with the price still attached. The cost back in 1952 was $95.00. Think about it.....$95.00 was a lot of money back in 1952.It's a great watch.

R and I also like clocks. Not new clocks but old clocks. Several years ago we purchased a circa 1880-1890 Kroeber porcelain mantle clock. We purchased it off eBay and the seller was unsure if it still worked as it did not come with a key. We are currently looking for a Kroeber key of the correct size. Gunther remove the movement for us and when he lifted it out, things started spinning and moving. Our fingers are crossed that it was a good sign. The porcelain is in need of repair to fix a bad glue job on a small broken piece. We may or may not have that restored. We do need to replace the wood access door on the back. We have purchased the wood and need to trace the old door shape onto the new piece, cut it out, stain it, and screw the brass access cover back on.This photo was taken while the clock was in storage, please disregard the dust.

It's a great clock.

We also purchased a Swedish Cartel clock. Gunther has a couple but they are out of our price range. We found a smaller less ornate Cartel clock and just recently found a key. We wound that bad boy up. I could barely turn the key. I thought "oh boy this thing is going to chime in the middle of the night and knock me out of bed." As it turns out......it has a very wimpy chime. But that's quite alright with me. The clock runs a bit slow. I need to take it off the wall and try to figure out where the adjustment is. It's a great clock.

Why would people pay such a large percentage of their income, back in the day, just to know what time it was??? How did they originally set their clocks and watches??? There wasn't a TV or telephone to use to call and find out the correct time. Did it really matter???? They got up with the sun and went to bed when it set. Hence the saying "Daylight's burning."

So why would anyone even need to wear a watch back then?

These days, every item you own has the time on it, TVs, cell phones, VCR/DVD players, stoves, microwaves, thermostats, even refrigerators. When you are in your car, you have a clock on the radio, and every bank sign has the time and temperature.

So why would anyone even need to wear a watch now?

It's ironic that everywhere I turn I can find out what time it is. Do I need a clock to know I'm running late? It's a given...there is never enough time. Now I just need to find something to turn back time or invent more time.

And speaking of time....It is time for a Goooooooo Smoke!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of time you have to move your clock ahead on the 8th. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....