Friday, January 14, 2011

I've Got the Whole World in my Hand

Remember that song?

The world I have in my hand are actually marble sized glass replicas of earth. Cool, huh?

R and I attended, a members only, showing of the new show at the Longway Planetarium. If you live in the Flint region of the mitt, you should make plans to see the show. We loved it.
Inside the dome before the show began.

I had to chuckle, though, on the way to the car. During the show they mentioned that Pluto is no longer classified as a planet but is now a dwarf planet or planetoid. Out of all the astronomical facts that were given during the show, the fact that Pluto is no longer a planet is the one fact that R felt the need to comment on as we walked to the car. In 2006 he didn't agree with it and his stance remains unchanged to this day. Of course I don't think the astronomers who made this decision could care less what one guy, who on a good day can barely find the Big Dipper, thinks.

R's feeling is that if Pluto was good enough to be a planet all those years...it still should be a planet. And further more he says that they should have bigger fish to fry than reclassifying planets that have already been classified. It amazes me how personally people take the reclassification.

One article I read said that Pluto was not demoted just reclassified. Really, it's not like Pluto had to take a pay cut and now cannot afford to feed it's moons. R likes everything to stay the same. From his planets to where the furniture is placed. Once it is assigned a place that is where it will remain until the end of time.

I, on the other hand like things to change except the seasons. We could reclassify winter anytime. We could call it "the white and gray months". White snow and gray skies. I keep telling myself spring is right around the corner. Who am I kidding.....it's not coming for another 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....