Friday, July 18, 2014

Another big tree bites the dust

Yup.  Tree number 2 came down on Wednesday.  It was just slightly smaller than the first one (36X32 inches) and came in at 32X34 inches.


I haven't counted the rings just yet but I did a quick scan of both trees and there is an area on both trees where the rings are very close together for about 5 or 6 rings.  Both trees show this around the 25-35 year mark.  I wonder if this coincides with a known drought like maybe in the 30's?  It will be interesting to see where this all falls when I start mapping out the rings.

My batteries in the camera were dead the day the tree was cut down so today was the first time I had a chance to take a photo.  I had R and Grandma Cat climb up onto the tree trunk so that you could have something to judge the size of the tree against.

The above photo shows the tree truck after it already had about 6 ft cut off the end of it.


We finished the clean up of tree number one and all that remains is the stump which we plan to remove in the fall.
Both of these trees were dead dead but because of their size they still offered some shade.  Now that they are gone we are noticing that some areas of the yard are getting more sun which is good but the yard looks bare if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....