Monday, August 17, 2009

B & G's Deck/Yard Update

Today was hotter than hot. High humidity and lots of sun makes shoveling and raking dirt nearly unbearable. But we persevered. Here is a 'after before' photo. After a lot of shoveling but before R tilled it. R brought our Troy Bilt rear tine rototiller over to B & G's to loosen up the dirt pile so that the dirt could be leveled. R ran the tiller and we raked, shoveled, and picked out the rocks.

Just look at that level cement slab by the rear entry door. Good job, ladies.
After we raked it smooth B & G laid down some grass seed and 3 bags of the cellulose/seed mixture. G used the back of a leaf rake to break apart the chunks and to get an even layer.
Hopefully we will get some gentle rain to help along the germination.

Last Sunday while I was on my way home from B & G's I noticed the sky. It was just before sunset and there was a storm approaching from the southwest. The sky was red. Not orange, not pink, but red. Occasionally there would be lightening but I was unable to capture any in a photo. The red sky lasted about 5 minutes. The below photo is a true representation of the sky. I did not enhance the color.

Old proverb

Red sky at night
Sailor's delight.
Red sky in morning
Sailor's warning.

A line from Shakespeare's 'Venus and Adonis'

“Like a red morn that ever yet betokened, Wreck to the seaman, tempest to the field, Sorrow to the shepherds, woe unto the birds, Gusts and foul flaws to herd men and to herds.”

From the Bible, Matthew XVI: 2-3

Jesus said, “When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.”

So it looks like a red sky in the morning is a bad thing and red sky in the evening is good.

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever reading that in the Bible...I'm gonna have to check it out.

    Wow, what a red sky that was! Must be beautiful today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that info on the Internet.

    I was afraid if I opened a Bible to verify the info.....I might get hit with a lightening bolt. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny...lightening bolt :D

    Is it too forward of me to say "Wow! Your husband's built!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you just made his day. LOL Not too shabby for a 57 yr old man.

    He has very low body fat so when his muscles are pumped up they really show.

    So between my daughter in law and husband they have nil body fat. So I feel the need to fill the void. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....