Friday, August 28, 2009

Rain and the Flint Institute of Arts

Fridays are usually a race day or at least a race preparation day but instead it was just rainy. The last couple of days have been rainy on and off and quite cool for this time of year.

It feels like fall and I don't like it one bit. Summer just got started and I have a lot to do yet before winter. So did I get anything accomplished today? No, instead we went to the Flint Institute of Arts. The below photo was taken from their website as I was having a hard time getting the whole building in my view finder.R really likes glass. He once took a glass blowing class and made some mighty fine icicles and a little doggie when he wasn't burning his fingers. So anyways.....FIA is having a Chihuly exhibit featuring his Seaforms pieces and we wanted to make sure we didn't miss it. The FIA also recently purchased a large Chihuly chandelier for their entrance. So since the Chihuly show would only be there until the end of September we figured what better way to spend an afternoon.We were totally shocked. The last time I was at the FIA was when G was a little boy. The FIA has changed changed changed. If you live in the area you must go and see the Chihuly show. At 7 bucks a person it is well worth it. Not only do you get to look at some of the greatest art glass ever made but you can also roam all the other galleries. Saturdays are totally free thanks to Target. I also have to add that I can't believe how many people were at the FIA. I am glad that people are starting to take advantage of this little known Flint treasure.

For those of you who do not know about Dale Chihuly and his glass designs you might be able to catch a program that currently is running on PBS. It covers many of his different lines like Seaforms and Persians. The TV show also shows many of the glass blowers that blow and form his creations.

If you are unfamiliar with Chihuly but watch reruns of Frazier you might remember seeing a large green glass bowl on a pedestal by his fireplace. Well that was a genuine Chihuly actually valued at 30k and locked up after the filming of every episode.

On our way to our vehicle we noticed that the special automobile exhibit at the Sloan Museum is ending in September also. The plan is that on the next rainy day in September we are going to go to the Sloan and The Buick Gallery.

Since I was not able to take any photos inside I took a few outside before it started raining again. Here of course is the obligatory piece of abstract art. Personally I think it looks like a big boat anchor but abstract art is not my thing.The next photo is of the Longway Planetarium.I remember as a teenager going to several laser light shows at the planetarium. I preferred the Led Zeppelin show over the Pink Floyd show. I see from their site that they are still doing the laser light show. How cool is that?

4 comments:

  1. I love planetariums! Used to go (40 years ago) to the one at Cranbrook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaire....

    It was a last minute thing. But you need to take your mom this week. It ends Sept 8th. It's worth it.

    Uncle Roger might take a glass blowing this winter at FIA.

    Your Favorite Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's going up north this weekend. So I'm going to have to go by myself. Glass blowing is so cool, we went to a demonstration of it in Venice.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....