Sunday, September 7, 2014

I'm blaming it all on McDonald's and the weatherman

Unbelievable.  Two steps forward and one step back.

Weather has made it slow going on the priming but I'll be back at it tomorrow.  Thursday was a very very hot and steamy day.  I was priming away but needed to take a lot of breaks to sit in the shade. R on the other hand was on his way to meet a guy who was interested in buying his race car hauler.  It has been difficult to get R to sell the remaining odds and ends of his racing equipment.  He has raced something with wheels since his teens and he's getting to the age where he receives AARP and social security literature in the mail everyday so to say his racing career was long would be an understatement.  Letting go wasn't easy but I had finally talked him into selling the race car hauler.

Notice the placement of the orange ladder near the peak.
He left the house and I climbed back up on the ladder.  Five minutes later my phone rings.  I almost didn't answer it but thought better and got down from my ladder to check my phone.  It was R and I knew right then and there that it was not good.  I called him back and he said he was in an accident about 1.5 miles from the house.  It seems that a lady decided to cross 5 lanes of traffic to go from Arby's to McDonald's and ran right into the driver's side front fender of his truck.  Totaled her PT Cruiser and did about 3K of damage to R's truck.  She was unclear WHY the cops told her it was her fault.  Because MI has no fault insurance and because the truck was a 2004 we only had PL PD on it and on top of that we have had it for only a month.  Geesh.

So I stopped painting and went to the scene of the accident, which was during rush hour in front of our county's largest hospital by the exit of I 75.  So you can imagine the congestion.  The good news is we were able to yank the front bumper forward so that we could drive the truck home.

Friday was no better.  The weathermen here in Michigan suck.  Their weather prediction is horrible. Storms were forecast for noon to 3PM.  It barely rained at 5PM and by 6PM they said it was over. We have been leaving the two extension ladders up against the house because the fiberglass ladder is extremely heavy and the shorter extension ladder is aluminum and I am currently using that ladder.

At 830PM we experienced quite the storm.  It was dark out but we figure we will at least have a few twigs to pick up.  My mother then called and said she was without power and she lives 7 miles from us.  So at that point we are happy to have power, cable, and Internet.  When the sun came up we see that our yard looks like a war zone AGAIN.  So all of today was spent picking up limbs and we are only 2/3 of the way done.

Just as we are getting ready to call it quits for the day R says to me "you're not going to like this."  I say "like what?"  He says "that." and points to the peak of the house where the ladder was leaning against the house.  The storm was so fierce that it moved the heavy fiberglass ladder and it was caught against the drip edge which it had bent.

So now we have to fix the drip edge that just two days ago was perfectly fine because we got a thunder storm after the weatherman said the threat of rain was over.  Alex who reads my blog and lives north of me commented recently about our weather guys and their inability to predict weather this summer. I love how they think they can predict this winter's snowfall when they can't predict rain within a 5 hour time span. 
So tomorrow I am back to priming and R will finish cleaning up the yard.