Friday, July 15, 2016

Curbside Treasure and Market Umbrella Search

R has scored again!

He was on his way to a doctor's appointment when he spied something on the edge of the road that had been put out for trash pick up.  He stopped and retrieved it and then proceeded to his appointment.

When he arrived home he told me to come out and look at what he had picked up.
I was amazed.  It's huge (22 inches by 22 inches) and must weigh at least 35 pounds.  All it needs is a new coat of black satin spray paint and a large canvas market umbrella and this great cast iron umbrella stand will be back in business.
This is the third umbrella stand that R has picked up.  We have a round cast iron base in the garden shed, then there is the umbrella stand that R found along with the Woodard rectangular patio table that we gave to B & G, and now this one.  We also have the restored SUN Oil CO sign base that we use with our current market style umbrella.

Canvas market style umbrellas come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and of course colors but we will stay with basic black to match the wrought iron furniture.  I will introduce color with my cushions and pillows.

I currently have a round umbrella and I thought that was the only shape that umbrellas came in but I was wrong.  You can also get a square umbrella and a rectangular umbrella.  We orinally were leaning towards a rectangular shaped umbrella to use between two vintage wrought iron chaise lounges but then changed our minds and think a large round will work better. 

Umbrellas also come in a variety of sizes from 7 feet to 13 feet.  I'll need a large size to cover two chaises. The umbrella should be manufactured out of a quality material like Sunbrella and the pole needs to be at least 1 3/4 inches in diameter to fit the 2 inch ID (inside diameter) of the umbrella stand pole receiver. So the hunt is on.

Frontgate has a beautiful umbrella but it doesn't come in black.  


Ballard Designs  has a great looking 11 ft round black umbrella (photo shows the striped version) that also tilts.  Hadn't thought about tilting.  The price is good at $299.00.


Home Decorators Collection has a 11 ft. black canvas round shape umbrella that tilts for $278.99.



 I will also need to factor in shipping cost before deciding on an umbrella.  But it looks like there are quite a few options out there.

Tomorrow is a race day so R will leave early to go racing with our son.  He is currently in first place and it is important for them to have a full crew on hand if a problem should arise.  My trackside wrench turning days are behind me so I will watch the race on the computer and get updates on my phone.

I need to mow the back yard and paint.  My spray painting trigger finger is itching to paint that umbrella base and to start on the patio furniture.  I also need to prime some shingles so it looks like I'll be busy on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....