Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time invested update

Everything is glued. I was very pleased when I removed all the panes from one of the sashes and it was still very rigid. Previous to gluing the sash was real wobbly.

I numbered all the panes with a china marker before removing. Even though I was sure I had removed all the glazing points, I still found at least one in every pane. I washed all the panes in warm soapy water only after I made sure to put a dish towel in the bottom of the sink for protection. I used a Mr. Clean Eraser on the edges of the panes to remove all the built up grime. The panes were squeaky clean when I was through. I made sure not to clean off my numbers. After I dried the glass, I stacked them. You could see that they are all the same color. Actually a darker green that the traditional bluish green that you normally see.

By the time I finished washing the glass, it was time for me to head to work. Before I left, R and I discussed using Rain X on these sashes to see if that helps with keeping the glass clean. I'm not as concerned about the windows on the first floor, but the windows on the second story are nearly impossible to get to. Add into the equation, wood storms and I see disaster. So we'll check out a few options on these easy to get to windows and see what happens. Or as R says, "We'll run a couple up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes." What can I say, this is the same guy that when he bends a nail says, "there's another 2 cents shot in the ass." The rest of his usual sayings are not fit for this blog. But those that know him, know what I mean.

Time invested yesterday and today....2 hours. Total time invested...15 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I found you through 1902 Victorian. I can't remember when I've laughed so hard. "Run it up the flagpole..." and "Another 2 cents" had me in the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just really have to tell you how much it warms my heart that you are restoring your casement windows. I think new windows, no matter how expensive or well-done or wooden they are, they never really compare. And on the other hand, old windows with brittle or messy glazing aren't much to look at either.

    I am in awe-- it's a project we have yet to tackle, and I don't look forward to the day that we do! But windows like that are such a signature aspect of our house that part of me thinks it would a real shame it we didn't go after them...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....