Saturday, January 12, 2008

Weight Watchers method of sash restoration

I keep telling myself...."self, just finish stripping and sanding 1 more sash and you will be halfway done with the nasty part of this job." I then go on to tell myself, "If you don't do something, the other housebloggers will think you're a slacker." See I know you are all watching and thinking, "better her than me." Don't think I can't see you snickering, either.

This job, just like any other home maintenance job, has it's tedious, boring parts and it's fun and enjoyable parts. The trick is to get through the nasty part so you can get onto the fun part. In this case the fun part would be the painting and glazing part. The portion of the job where you can actually see progress and results because in the end.....isn't that what we want....progress and results? Hence the Weight Watchers method of sash restoration. You're watching and I better produce some results.

I was really pressed for time today so there will not be any photos......sorry. I also didn't do anything when I got home from work last night. I found the remains of a pizza in the fridge and ate a piece. R must have ordered a pizza for dinner before he went to work. Well, all it took was a measly 10 hour work day, 2 hour drive (1 hr each way), and 1 piece of pizza....OK dammit....2 pieces of pizza and I was in a coma. What sashes?????

So today, though still extremely busy, I felt I must do something so I finished sanding a sash and started another one. I still need to glue a joint on the last one but I don't know yet which type of glue I want to use...Elmer's wood glue or Gorilla glue. Any thoughts about which is better. I'm leaning towards Gorilla because the glued area will be outside in the elements.

This next sash has it's own small problem. This particular sash has an extra piece screwed to the outside of the inside stile (pair of sashes makes up 1 window) so that this sash over laps the other sash. It is attached with 5 small cap screws. The bottom screw appears to have rusted and broken off. The remaining part of the screw will need to be removed. The trick will be to remove it without making the hole any larger. Might be a job for R. He's real good at getting out broken bolts. I'll ask him to look at it, that way he won't feel left out of the project. Ha Ha!!!!!! He's been staying so far away from this project it's not funny. He likes big projects with big power tools and even better if the said power tool/equipment has an internal combustion engine, i.e. tractor, chainsaw, etc. He is not a painter and he never will be. He can paint with a spray can. He has that down pat. But "The Gear" doesn't need a Krylon rebuild, so he'll be left out of any painting.

So today I worked on sashes for 1 hour. Total time invested so far 5 hours and 55 minutes.