Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday's Tool

The more I use hand tools the more I agree with the saying "old tools are the best tools."

Case in point. R will not use a cordless drill. He says that "just about the time I get halfway through a job, the battery goes dead. Then I have to get off the ladder, look for a spare battery, and then pry the dead battery out of the drill motor, install the charged battery, and then climb back up the ladder...OR..I can get a long heavy duty extension cord and my old heavy duty drill motor and climb up the ladder and stay there until I am done and I haven't shot a 1/2 hour right in the ass."*** I swear he uses a 1950's style drill motor and it never fails him. Nothing fancy......just a lot of torque and as long as it is plugged in....it works.

Over the years I have picked up a few older hand tools at garage sales and on eBay. I made another eBay purchase the other day for $3.99.

Every once in awhile the need arises to remove a used hose spring clamp. Normally you can get away with just using your slotted or slip jaw pliers but there are also those times when you need a pair of pliers specifically for spring clamps. But I also know that as soon as I shell out 25 plus dollars for a pair....I'll never need them again. Just like when I bought a set of snow skies and it didn't snow for 3 years.
Notice the Corbin logo. It's the same Corbin company that makes locks and the same ones that are used at Gear Acres. I'm going to estimate the age of this tool at around 1960. If it saves me from breaking a fingernail, it will pay for itself after I use it one time. Because we know that at our house, that when Dynochick breaks a nail.......NO ONE IS HAPPY UNTIL IT IS FIXED!!!!!

Here's how it works. The larger hose clamp in the photo is your traditional hose clamp (worm gear style) that is tightened and loosen using a screwdriver or a nutdriver. The smaller clamps are spring tension clamps. They are intended for one time use. When they are new they arrive in the open position. You slip the clamp onto the hose and after positioning it you pull off the little tab and the clamp closes.

The trick is removing the clamp without damaging it, so that you may reuse it. Sometimes if space is not a problem, you can use a regular set of pliers or pliers that have a small piece of metal welded to each jaw. But if space and accessibility is an issue then you need a specially tool like this one.

To remove the clamp, place the single tab into the slot on one of the jaws. The other jaw is placed on the outside of the pair of tabs. Squeeze the pliers shut. While holding the pliers closed slide the clamp off the hose. Reverse to reinstall the used clamp.

Spring tension clamps need to be just slightly larger than the hose when in the open position. If the clamp is too large it will leak. So always buy one that is just large enough to slide onto the hose.

Now that I have purchased this speciality tool....I will probably never ever come across the need to use it. But what the heck....my plier drawer had space for 1 more pair of pliers. Extra credit for those that saw the wrenches in my plier drawer AND the magnifying glass AND yes, I know it's messy.
The progress on the windows sashes will be delayed a week since I am working 12 hours 7 days this week. My drives to and from work, thanks to snow, have been averaging 1 hour and 35 minutes. 12 hrs work+3 hours 10 minutes driving=not a lot of time to work on the windows.

I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!

*** He uses that saying frequently.

3 comments:

  1. I love handtools... I actually got to use and see a hand drill (non electric) in use... I'm looking for one now! Not for drilling in studs... but for smaller and finer work.

    I'm with R on the corded drill... so much more power, never quits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, old tools are the best or better tools. They are work friendly, and friendly on the hip pocket - what more could you want. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer....wow.. I have a couple of those...3 as a matter of fact. I can't get the hang of the large one called a brace. The smaller one reminds me of the egg beater my grandmother used to whip whipping cream. I do have a new one that I use at work to drill holes in plastic. Works amazing well.

    Rani....I agree. You can drop old tools without it shattering into a million pieces. Old tools seems to be balanced better too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....