Monday, August 9, 2010

Hires Extract Bottle

R was cleaning out some old boxes when he ran across an old bottle with a dried up cork. The bottle was embossed with the words Hires Extract.I wasn't sure if the bottle would clean up much less what it was going to smell like when I pried the cork out of the bottle. So I jumped right in prepared to run out of the house with the bottle if it expelled a foul odor.

The cork pretty much broke into two large pieces but the contents had solidified. I filled a bowl with hot water and submerged the bottle into the bowl. After 2 or 3 minutes I poured the water out of the bottle but the contents remained but now appeared to be jelly like. I then used a meat skewer to poke at it and after 3 or 4 minutes I had the contents out. I did note that it remotely smelled like root beer as in Hires root beer that you can buy today. The extract was probably sold to make your own home brewed root beer.

Here is the bottle washed and ready for a new cork. After I uploaded the photo to Blogger I realized that I had crumbs all over the counter. But hey...what are a few crumbs among friends.
Today is August 9th and that is my sister Ranee's birthday. I won't tell you how old she is but I will say it is really really old. I'm just glad I am not THAT old.

Happy Birthday Ranee!!!!

I can pick on her because she is currently up in the UP (upper peninsula) and they don't have Internet in the middle of the woods. She won't know that I told everyone on the Internet that she is old until she gets back in a week or so and because she is old she will forget to read my blog and won't know that I told everyone that she was really really really old. I used an extra 'really' because she is aging as we speak!!!

August 9th is a rather important day in history.

The dog I had as a pet when I was growing up had puppies on August 9th. That's rather important when you are a kid....yeah puppies!!!

August 9th is also the day Nixon resigned.

Not only did I drop a bomb today by telling you that my sister is really really really really old but on August 9th 1945 the US dropped the atom bomb on Nagasaki, Japan.

On August 9th 1994 OJ was acquitted of double murder.

On August 9th 1995 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead was found dead from a heart attack.

Outside of that puppy thing, August 9th is a real bummer......isn't it Ranee?

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your very, very, very OLD sister - I know about that, cuz I have two of them!

    August 9, 1975, one of my very old sisters married her first husband. I was really, really young at the time, but I always remember the date. I had a homemade dress (yellow) and we had the wedding party at our parents house, who lived on the water (a canal that leads out to Lake St. Clair). It was really nice and my extremely old sister looked beautiful.

    She's remarried now for nearly 24 years, but I will always remember August 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...2 older really really old sisters!!!!

    My really really old sister must still be up north since I haven't heard a peep out of her, yet.

    August 9th seems to be a very busy day historically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is from your really really old sister that is 3 1/2 yrs YOUNGER than you! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Wow I didn't know Aug. 9 was such a important date besides my birth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 1/2 years YOUNGER???!!!

    Well, my really, really, really OLD sisters are at least OLDER than me! ;)

    Happy Birthday anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, I thought she would stay up in the UP for at least another week before the cat got out of the bag.

    Well it's back to being the older sister. :(

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....