Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Coronal Mass Ejection??

I just read on the Internet (so you know it has to be true or they wouldn't be able to put it on there!!) that there is a good chance that we will see some northern lights or aurora borealis tonight.

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/coronal-mass-ejection-or-solar-tsunami-to-make-aurora-borealis-light-show-in-north/19578799?icid=main|main|dl1|link1|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fscience%2Farticle%2Fcoronal-mass-ejection-or-solar-tsunami-to-make-aurora-borealis-light-show-in-north%2F19578799

I have witnessed some great northern light in the UP (upper peninsula for you non Michiganders) where we have property. But I have also witness northern lights during my late night (3AM) drive home from work.

These photos sort of depict the type of light shows I saw up north but add a bit more green, purple, and a touch of red. Down here in the mitten (lower peninsula) do you rarely see color. Most light shows are just streaks of wispy light. Cool none the less.


I'll leave you with this little wish.... keep your fingers crossed for some good coronal mass ejection tonight!!!! Astrophysically speaking.

2 comments:

  1. I accidentally hit 'reject' when I moderated this comment from Gene at DIY Insanity...but I was able to copy and paste it here.

    Gene....Oooo! I never saw the northern lights in Michigan, but I lived south of Detroit, and there was a lot of light pollution.

    And here I thought "coronal mass ejection" referred to a bunch of Tigers fans getting thrown out for getting drunk on Mexican beer :-)

    Sorry I deleted your comment but I was laughing and not paying attention. You know what they say about us poor house remodelers...we are so poor we can't afford to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....