Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Vintage Paver Bricks

Thanks to Craigslist I was able to score some City of Flint vintage paver bricks for my driveway project.According to my calculations I will need 144 paver blocks to give me a 36 inch strip of bricks across my driveway just like at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Yesterday I was able to pick up 117 but the lady I bought them from said she has 27 more she will give me.

The seller at one time lived on Prospect Street in Flint and found them buried out by the street in her front yard. Some have a little asphalt on them but I am sure I can clean that off with a little elbow grease.I was surprised at how heavy they were to pick up. I am guessing they weigh close to 10 pounds each. It is amazing that they have survived all these years through all the harsh winters we have here in Michigan.I should end up with a few extras because I already had 4 paver blocks and 1 Indy block. I am not really sure how we are going to make the cuts for the partial blocks. These blocks are nothing like the pavers you buy at Home Depot.The seller I was buying them from was selling them because she needed the money to pay her property taxes. I paid $100 for 144 bricks. I bet if she would have thrown the bricks into the back of a truck and went down to the Back to the Bricks car cruise last week that she could have sold them for 5 to 10 buck a piece. Then the buyer could mount their metal commemorative dash plaque on it. But I'm glad she didn't think of that and that I was able to purchase a little piece of downtown Flint for my driveway.

Here is a photo of the block that started it all. The Culver Block from Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The inscription says W.C. Co., Culver Block, Pat May 21 1901.Interesting articles found on the Internet about the Culver Block.

3.2 million pavers originally were laid to make the IMS track.
Paver brick article

9 comments:

  1. Oh, those are really awesome! Very Very cool!

    I saw something in "This Old House" magazine where they would use these kind of cool bricks for walkways, etc. So, if you have any left over, you may want to consider that.

    I will find the article and scan/send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Various regions of the country have different properties of quality and color based upon the clay. Anyway, I like your blog and post also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a 'POSTON' paver yet? I have a few laying around here in pretty good condition.
    I may be able to throw one your way with the other pavers you asked me about on facebook.
    Bill
    WCBC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, I don't have a POSTON paver, yet. Was that from a brick co. in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i have something you may be interested in. I have Poston Pavers from 1901..it is said they were from the indy 400 brickyard. i live in Wabash county Indiana...there are alsso Athens pavers..and W.C.Co. pavers..contact me at nikkilee423@aol.com ill send you photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, nikkilee423@aol.com has poston brick pavers from circa 1901..also Athens pavers and w.c. co. pavers...please email me for pics if you are interested

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, nikkilee423@aol.com has poston brick pavers from circa 1901..also Athens pavers and w.c. co. pavers...please email me for pics if you are interested

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have over a hundred culver blocks pat. May 21, 1901

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested in selling them if anyone interested please email me

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....