Saturday, March 17, 2018

1960's Craftsman Table Saw Refurbish Part 3

If you are new to this project click on the links below to read.... 

Today was beautiful.  Sunny and about 50 degrees.  We carried the saw base outside and put it up on saw horses so R could sand the base and enjoy the sun at the same time.  But first we had to glue the two top pieces together to form one top.  
Once that was done R got busy using the belt sander to remove decades of dirt and oil off of the old wooden base and
I got busy shoveling snow off the deck.  Despite the above freezing temps and full sunshine, the snow just was not melting fast enough for us. 
After sanding was completed, R cut some little pieces to fill in around the legs.  
This is purely for aesthetic purposes just like the trim piece that we added afterwards.  The trim piece was left over from the flower box tune up that we did to spruce up the backs of the flower boxes on the deck railing.  BTW I ordered 4 more flower boxes from Dave Ciliberto of Ciliberto Woodworking in Vermont. Dave has built all of my window/flower boxes and he does a great job.
We were one piece short on the little trim piece that we added to the base.  But that is OK because I need more for the new window/flower boxes, so we will just add 3 feet to my lumber list and pick up enough to finish the saw base and the new window/flower boxes when they arrive.
By 3PM we had our coats off and were wearing just sweatshirts AND the snow was still hardly melting.  I just couldn't let this afternoon go by without painting something.  I look at it like this,  if it is warm enough to paint then spring has sprung and goodbye winter.  So I used the air gun to blow off any residual saw dust and then opened my quart of Royal primer/paint from Ace Hardware and put the first coat of paint on the saw base.  The base will need a second coat tomorrow but it already looks so much better.
What do you think?  

Tomorrow we will add that last piece of trim and I will give the entire base a second coat AND then I am going to prime some shutters.  R will probably spend the day cutting the new top to fit and then sanding the new top.  Saturday's mail brought both of the products that I purchased to restore the saw table.  More on those products later.

Reuse Repurpose Recycle


                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....