Monday, March 19, 2018

1960's Craftsman Table Saw Refurbish Part 4

If you are new to this project just click on the links below to catch up.


Another beautiful day.  Tomorrow's forecast is for cooler temps so we will be inside tomorrow working on the saw base.

Today started out with un clamping the saw base top from the work table and taking it outside.  We used a belt sander to get the used boards looking a little better.  Then we used the router with the round over bit to make all the edges more uniform.  
We put the top on the saw base to layout the pilot holes and where the cutout for under the saw.  We used the old saw base top to know how big the cutout had to be.  We then took the top back to the saw horses.
R used the circular saw to cut on the layout line and then used the oscillating saw to finish the corner cuts.  I did a little more sanding and then blew off the sawdust with the air gun.
While I prepared to stain the top, which really means I looked for the can of stain EVERYWHERE before I found it.  R, in the meantime, ran to Home Depot to get more of the trim pieces for the saw base and the window/flower boxes and more belts for the belt sander.
I used Special Walnut by Minwax to stain the top.  I was just finishing up when R arrived back home.

We cut and nailed the last piece of trim onto the saw base.  I needed the saw base back on the saw horses so I could give the base a second coat of paint.  We moved the top inside to the project table and then put the saw base back up onto the saw horses. The first coat that I brushed on yesterday really soaked into the wood.  The second coat today looks much better.

By this time it was 5:30PM and the temperature was starting to drop and we called it a day.

Tomorrow's agenda is to install the base top onto the base.  Then brush on a clear coat on the top.  I have two choices.  I can either put a clear coat of poly or use spar varnish.  I'm leaning towards the clear poly because it dries fast which means I can get several coats on it in one day.

Reuse Repurpose Recycle.

Don't forget to follow Gear Acres on
Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....