Friday, March 2, 2018

Flower Box Tune up

Years ago I ordered windows boxes to sit in front of the upstairs windows in the shed dormers.  They looked great but they were so difficult to water and the extreme heat from the roof made it impossible to keep anything alive.  After a couple of years I quit planting them and they just stayed empty until one day I thought about buying those same window boxes to sit on my deck railing.  Then the light bulb above my head finally went on and I brought the window boxes down from their rooftop inferno and placed them on the deck railing.  All was good.......
.....until we had to look at the back of them.  
Since these are actually window boxes and not flower boxes, the back is plain because it is meant not to be seen, but seen they are and they looked awful. There is a little rot from leaves getting behind the box and then decomposing.  But it is just surface rot and will be covered up by the new trim pieces. 
The back of the flower box was finished off with the same simple design as the front of the box. We used 7/16 x 1 5/8 clear pine at a cost of $1.74 a foot.  We used our small pneumatic brad nailer to attach the pieces along with a little exterior wood glue.  The boxes are already for a little caulk, primer, and paint when the weather warms up.
R and I are chomping at the bit to get started on the back of the house but we have to keep telling ourselves that it is still the end of February/beginning of March.  We have completed a few projects like repurposing the broken work mate style table into a longer/wider saw table AND we made all the remaining board and batten shutters for the house except for one window on the second floor.  I'll do a detailed post on how to make them and where we buy the decorative hardware for the shutters.


Dave has made all of my window boxes and brackets.  They always arrive safely and in perfect condition.  He does very nice work and he does custom sizes, too. 

Free shipping!!!!! 

I see that he has a spring sale going for 20% off.
I think I will order the rest of my boxes for the deck!

Reuse Repurpose Recycle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....