Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Board and Batten Shutter Tutorial Part 3

This is Part 3 of the Board and Batten Shutter Tutorial.  If you haven't read Part 1 and Part 2 click on the links below. 


Part 3 of this tutorial is all about the little details you can add to your board and batten shutters.  It is perfectly fine to add none of these.  Some people are completely happy with just paint.  Others might want the straps hinges and not the pulls and then others want it all.....strap hinges, pulls, and shutter dogs.
 The photo above is one of the small shutters for the garden shed.  I used an offset cabinet strap hinge for this shutter because the shutter is small and the strap hinges that I used on the rest of my shutters were just too big.  These offset strap cabinet hinges are a lot more affordable, too.  I purchased these off of eBay.

The photo below shows how the hinge portion is screwed onto the side of the shutter.
 The photo below is the strap hinge that I use on my larger size shutters.
 
 This strap hinge gives a more realistic working hinge look.  These hinges are more expensive, though.  When I purchased the hinges for the first two sets of shutters I decided to buy all my hinges for the entire house at one time.  I am so glad that I did.  The cost has tripled since that time.  Also they did not come with screws so I bought a box of small cap head screws for $2.49 for 100.  I think that there are 7 screws per strap hinge so I will need to purchase additional boxes before all is said and done.  

Also the screws are not painted.  You can go about painting the screws two ways.  Take a a piece of scrap Styrofoam (this is another reason why we keep old Styrofoam)  push the screws about halfway into the Styrofoam and then use black semi gloss spray paint.  If you use this method you will probably still need to touch them up after you screw them into place.  The screw driver removes the paint in the grooves of the screw.  You can touch them up using a Q tip as the brush and semi gloss spray paint sprayed into the cap.  The other method is to just wait until the screws are in place and then use the same method but paint the entire screw head.  I use the first method.  
If you had actual working shutters you would need a pull ring to grab a hold of when closing the shutters from the inside.  Again I purchased all mine at one time because I had such a hard time finding a pull ring of the right proportions and ones that wouldn't break the budget.  The problem is that I hadn't intended to make shutters for my garden shed.  I was able to find a seller on Etsy that sold almost identical ring pulls.  They are ever so slightly smaller and the ring isn't twisted like the original one in the below photo.  
The final piece of shutter bling is the shutter dog.  Shutter dogs are the scroll piece that hold a true working shutter open.  Shutter dogs can be placed at the bottom corner or on the side of the shutter in the middle.  I searched the Internet for a week looking at photos of old homes with shutters.  After looking at a lot of photos, I decided to place the shutter dog at the bottom corner.  It seemed that whenever I found a shutter dog that was placed on the side it was always on a very fancy Victorian home.  

I bought my shutter dogs off of eBay.  They were vintage but bent and covered with many many layers of paint.  I sandblasted them and then straighten them by placing in a vise in between two pieces of 2X4's.

All of these ornamental doodads can be added after you hang your shutters if you want to spread the cost out over time.  
You can barely see the shutter dogs on our shutters in the above photo.
  

Just contact the seller if you need more pulls than what are listed.

Search eBay for black strap hinges.

Why should you build your own board and batten shutters?  

The first and foremost is the cost.  Building your own shutters is far less expensive than buying them and far more rewarding.


I want to build my own shutters but I don't have a router or a biscuit joiner.

You can buy a less expensive router and biscuit joiner and you will still save money.  Look at the prices for board and batten shutters in the link above.

The skill level to make board and batten shutters is between beginner and intermediate.  The first one is always the hardest and takes the longest. 

Tools Needed

Router with a round over bit
Biscuit plate/joiner
#20 biscuits
Chop saw, miter saw, table saw, or hand held saw
Rubber mallet
Exterior glue
Tape measure
Sand paper
Bar clamps
C clamps or squeeze type clamps
Pencil
Straight edge

Reuse Repurpose Recycle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....