Friday, March 23, 2018

1960's Craftsman Table Saw Refurbish Part 7

You can catch up by clicking on the links below if you are new to this project.


Brrrr it was cold outside today.  It was actually deceiving from inside the house.  All bright and sunny and then you step outside and get hit with a blast of 38 degree wind in your face.  The wind was coming out of the north and I really thought that the deck would be warmer because it faces south and is protected from the north.  But it was windy on the deck, too.  It is March and I have to keep telling myself  "it's March, slow your roll because it will be 80 degrees before you know it." 

R worked on sanding the 2 window boxes that my dad had built for my mother.  They are painted black and had some peeling paint so he hit them with the belt sander because I want to paint them white.  Then he decided to replace one little end piece that had some rot....then he decided to replace the bottom as well.  
Before cleaning
After
I worked on cleaning the table saw.  I used a little brass bristle brush on the inside to loosen dirt that looked like old saw dust mixed with oil.  Then I used a little lacquer thinner to wipe down the outside of the saw and it really brightened up the front of the saw and now you can see the design in the metal.  It ruined my manicure but the saw looks better.  I also removed the two adjusting wheels because the gunk just wasn't coming off.  Easy peasy...two set screws per handle holds the handle on.  Good news...didn't drop any of them and all 4 are in the handles and accounted for.
This is the nasty gunk that I'm going to work on getting rid of tonight.
Out in the bright sun the paint color on the outside of the saw, looked like it was dark grey in some areas, then teal grey in other areas, and finally there was a small area of actual teal color.   We decided that we will paint the outside dark grey.  
 It's going to be a little tricky taping up this label before I paint.  I could always drill out those rivets and then replace with small screws....hmmmm,  I think I will try to tape first, then see what happens. Trying not to let this project spin out of control.  We just want a nice old working table saw, not a museum piece. 

Reuse Repurpose Recycle

Don't forget to follow Gear Acres on

Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.....