Thursday, April 3, 2014

Using a hacksaw blade to remove caulk and paint

I was on a scraping tear today.  Usually three hours is my max scraping time but today I just kept going and going.  My hand screamed "STOP" after 5 straight hours of scraping.

As I was moving my ladder, I happened to get a real good look at the rectangle shaped hole that I mentioned in a past post.  Well duh, it looks like it is an old electrical box for a switch.  The box is there and the two wires are taped off. I'll have R check them with a tester but it looks like old knob and tube wire and  probably are no longer active.  But better safe than sorry. My next question is......isn't that a rather odd placement for a light switch?

Today I used an old coarse hack saw blade to get the last bits of caulk and paint from between the baseboard and wall.  It works great and is rather quick.  Just remember to have the teeth of the hacksaw pointed towards you so that when you pull up on the blade it catches either the caulk or the paint and pulls it out.

I have trouble getting old caulk out from behind trim.  Most of the time I end up shoving in down behind the trim rather than removing it.  The hacksaw blade makes short work of this.  It helps to get the caulk slightly warm because then it is more pliable.

Another tip is to wrap the end of the blade with a shop towel and then duct tape.  Just make sure you wrap the correct end.  Remember the teeth should point towards you when you pull up on the blade.
 See the paint between the baseboard and the wall???
Blade inserted between the wall and baseboard. 
After using the hacksaw blade the baseboard is ready for new caulk.
R worked on patching the swinging door.  He has the patches in place but needs to sand it down flush with the door.  Next on his list is sanding the three doors on the second floor landing and then flipping the two doors so they swing inward.




5 comments:

  1. Great idea on using the hacksaw blade I'll have to keep it mind for the future. I remember when I was a kid my Dad had a hacksaw blade mounted in a utility knife "handle". I don't remember if he just placed the blade in the handle and screwed the halves back together or if it involved a modification of some sort to the blade or "handle" but it might work for you as well. Of course now-a-days you can just buy one of these:

    Stanley 20-220 Cushion Grip Multi Saw
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002X21Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works fairly fast. But the first time I used it, I didn't have anything on the blade to protect my hand....ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all that scrapping I'm looking forward to seeing what you have picked out for colors. You must be close?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and me both!

    I might go get qts of the new green color and so some spots just so I can paint something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edited

    I might go and get qts of the new green color and do some spots just so I can paint something.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....