Thursday, October 24, 2013

Brrr....ice pellets

Wow, it was far colder today than I thought it was going to be when we went outside to work on the shed.  At one point the sun was shining but little ice pellets were falling from the sky.  So cold weather=slow progress.

We did finish the sheathing but didn't get the tar paper hung.  The sheathing that we used or should I say....reused, was removed when we demoed the front of the shed.  Every piece but one had to be custom cut which meant that the board was marked and then taken inside, cut, and back outside again.  R said he figured out that he went up and down the deck stairs (about 12 steps) 52 times.

After all the sheathing was installed we had 5 small broken pieces left over so again we did not spend any $$$.  Yippee.

I'm really not looking forward to installing the jamb and hanging the doors.  The doors are heavy and difficult to move and position.  But they were free so I shouldn't complain.

Unless we get a warm spell in the next few weeks, I really doubt if I will be able to prime and paint the front of the shed.  I will be really really disappointed because I want to cross this project off my list.  As in done, completed, finished. Painting is a must before we can hang the eave trough and downspout.  We just replaced the sill on the front of the shed because of water damage so keeping the water away from the foundation is a priority.

So tomorrow's agenda is tar paper and jamb installation.  Back up plan if it rains is to fix the flooring and more paint scraping.

4 comments:

  1. If the weather doesn't warm up, could you prime and paint the siding indoors before hanging it? Knowing Michigan we'll get at least a few days here and there with above normal temps, hopefully. (Fingers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the weather doesn't warm up, could you prime and paint the siding indoors before hanging it? Knowing Michigan we'll get at least a few days here and there with above normal temps, hopefully. (Fingers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for fiscally neutral projects! It's starting to get colder here, but no ice pellets! It was a chilly mid 70's--brisk after the high of 89 on Monday. Great weather for my daughter's and my recent project of stripping, staining and re-finishing a dresser(her) and bookcase(me). We're using the easy-up to keep the morning dew off, but should be all done by Sat. Then my daughter wants to start building a TARDIS to use as a prop and then a garden shed. Are you a Dr. Who fan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old House Lover....I wish I could paint them first but unfortunately most of the shingles need to be custom fitted and then nailed. I'm hoping for just one warm day and I could get it all painted.

    Annette.....a chilly mid 70's.....boo. I would love a mid 50's temp. I swear we work at about 50% of our normal speed when it is cold. Gosh....I dread winter.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....