Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Kitchen cabinet and ankle update

During the many rain storms, we stop working outside and slowly try and finish up the kitchen project. The 'to do' list on the desk/cabinet/shelves project is getting shorter and shorter.  We are down to a handful of small items such as move an electrical wire and install an outlet box, cut and nail support boards in the corner desk area, and install the top and top edging. AND of course we still have to fill nail holes and nicks and sand the doors, rails, and stiles.....and because we used reclaimed wood, there are a lot of nail holes etc.

We might have changed our minds about the open shelves holding my cookbook collection.  Today we had the brainstorm idea of maybe baskets or boxes on slides for veggies and fruits.  We have a pile of pallets that we picked up last year and we could make them out of the pallet wood.  I'm thinking 6 boxes with three on each shelf.  Let me see....... potatoes, onions, apples, pears, tomatoes, and whatever else is in abundance at the moment.
I have no idea what is going on with the bottom of that photo.
And of course the ankle update.  I already know that I am not going to enjoy wearing this ankle splint.  They talked about a boot but I kind of talked them out of that.  They seemed to think that would be more to my liking but it would be too claustrophobic for me.  I can barely handle this on my ankle....it's hot and just yukky.  This is going to be a looooong 4 weeks.

That's a really close up photo of the kitchen floor.  It actually doesn't look too bad considering we removed two layers of vinyl, 1 layer of underlayment,  and some black stuff that probably came off the original linoleum. It smelled horribleand I read somewhere that they used horse hoof glue.  Once that stuff was gone the old house smell in the kitchen went away.  Of course, it still needs a final sanding, staining, and clear coat.