Friday, May 16, 2014

Muntin bar paint brush

Painting a divided lite window or door is tedious work.  There are multiple methods that can be used and of course each have their own merit.

Tape off the glass to protect it from the paint.  But taping takes time and you run the risk of peeling some of the paint off with the tape.

Paint on a protective film on the glass and then peel it off after you have finished painting.  Again you have the time invested into painting on the protective film.

OR paint as neatly as possible and then use a razor blade to scrape off any excess paint.  This method just takes time and finger cramping to complete.

The third method is usually my method of choice but when I look at all the window sashes, storm windows, and doors that need to be painted the thought of any scraping with a razor blade makes my fingers hurt in anticipation.

A while back I ran across a paint brush on eBay from a seller in the UK that I think might help eliminate a lot of my scraping.

I haven't tried out the brush with paint yet but when I did a dry run, it felt like I would be able t control the flow of paint nicely.  There is also a nice point in the center of the bristles that should make getting the paint in the corners a lot easier.

The brush also felt nice to hold.  I have a few brushes that for the life of me just do not feel right.  I'm not sure if it is the shape of the handle, how the bristles are angled or not angled, or how it is weighted. I wish I knew what it was so I could stay away from those brushes.




9 comments:

  1. That's an interesting brush. I've never seen one before and would be curious to know how you make out painting with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to try out the paint brush today after I planted my flowers BUT it rained YET again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a 1/2" flat artist brush for painting small areas like that and it also works great for small touch ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, order several of them to save on shipping. I got mine on eBay and it took about 2 weeks to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you share who you bought them from? I can't seem to find it on eBay...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the listing.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261271453125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

    ReplyDelete
  7. He had 10 of them and now none are listed.....oh crap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan:
    Looks like he relisted it since you checked as it now shows "More than 10 available / 2 sold". They can also be found on Amazon.co.uk and it looks like they're cheaper, here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spekter%20sash%20brush

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....