Monday, July 20, 2009

You too, can be a Roadshow Appraiser Part Two

OK, here is the verdict on what the Antiques Roadshow appraiser had to say.

If you want to guess first. Stop. Do not scroll down. Go to You too, can be a Roadshow Appraiser and look at the items and take a stab at the appraised price. Then come back here and read on.



\/




\/




\/




\/




\/

Item #1 I paid $400 4 years ago. Appraiser's verdict between $1800.00 and $3600.00 Price will go up if I can get info on the Society Nationale des Beaux Arts and prove that the painting was indeed exhibited on March 12, 1933.

Item #2 I paid $400 5 years ago. Appraiser's verdict $1200.00. Appraiser agreed painting was from 1890's but American not French and that frame is from 1910 era.

Item #3 I paid $75.00 4 years ago. Appraiser's verdict $150.00.

Item #4 I paid $240.00 4 years ago. Appraiser's verdict $250.00. Appraiser said price would be higher if painting was older because buyers prefer their religious art to be old.

How did you do???? I think I did pretty good considering I just buy what I like and could care less if it is worth more. Of course I am happy that my choices are worth at least what I paid for them, I just wish my investment portfolio had done as well over the last 4-5 years.

7 comments:

  1. I have an acquaintance who is a Professor of Art History with a Ph.D. from Columbia University.

    I might be able to ask her about your painting...I'll send her a note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had you already checked out:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9_Nationale_des_Beaux-Arts

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Palais

    http://www.grandpalais.fr/en/The_building/History/The_events_staged_in_the_Grand_Palais/French_excellence/p-601-French_quality_on_show_1933_.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked a couple of those sites but not the last two.

    Can you read french? I think the inscription on the bottom means something. From what little I could decipher, I think it is a phrase from literature or something about someone from literature.

    Madone du or da Vioue Chene

    Your estimates were very close. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I guess not so bad.

    My husband is French, so I will send him this. I would say it's something like Madonna of the old oak...but I'll ask him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband reply:
    It says

    “Madone du vieux chene” which means Madone (Madonna) of the old oak.

    Guess I was right...however, I used babelfish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The friend I was mentioning earlier that is an Art History Professor sent this email to her colleages:

    "Dear fellow art historians,
    A friend of Barney's has a question about a painting that I'm afraid is about 2000 years later than my area of expertise. Do any of you know anything about this artist, and about the Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts? Does it have anything to do with the Ecole Nationale or is it separate?"

    Other than the Wikipedia reference that we've already seen, this was one response she received:

    "A book that may be of help: Gaïté Dugnat, Les catalogues des Salons de la Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, L'Echelle de Jacob, 2005.

    I'm certain that the painter could be verified with some research. The Getty librarians will often help people with research problems. That's all I have off the top of my head; I think it will need a trip to an academic library and an afternoon of online research. Let me know if I can be more useful."

    I guess this puts it back in your court.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the information. I think that this winter I will do a more intensive search for info.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.....